Duffers' Arolla Trip - Summer 2011
6th-21st August 2011
- Camping Arolla booked for 6th-19th August.
- Jon, Amy and David in Jon's car. Depart evening of Friday 5th, stop overnight somewhere, arrive afternoon of Saturday 6th.
Tunnel: Folkestone to Calais, check-in closes 20:20, departs 20:50, arrives 22:25
- Ian and Emma travelling independently, arriving in Arolla Saturday 6th.
Mister Bed Lille Lomme - 36EUR for a triple room!
All in Jon's car. Depart on Friday 19th or Saturday 20th, stop somewhere en route, arrive evening of Saturday 20th.
Tunnel: Calais to Folkestone, check-in closes 19:36, departs 20:06, arrives 19:41
Ian and Emma have booked train back from Huntingdon at 9.21 on Sun 21st. Hope that fits ok with someone giving us a lift there if possible. DP: I can give you a lift.
~11 hrs driving Arolla-Calais, + breaks http://route
Can we do it in one, or is that going to kill us? How many drivers are we having? Need to leave time for breaks + possible Sat traffic. Would save moving for 1 night though.
Possible hotel: Mister Bed Strasbourg (29EUR per triple room)
Possible camping locations: Aigle (1hr15 from Arolla), Fribourg (2hrs), Basel area (3hrs), Offenburg (4hrs), Strasbourg (4hr30). Haven't searched for actual sites yet. This assumes we are going the Germany route.
Food ideas / requests
Will think more about this tomorrow, but we should aim to be as many non-perishables as possible tomorrow.... I don't plan on being non-perishable!
- Cereal - muesli + branflakes?
- UHT milk
- Tea - normal and mint
- Soya milk
- Could take a few bags of bagels as an initial bread stock
- Salami type sausages
- John West tinned tuna and sweetcorn in mayo
- Cheese (buy there?)
- Vegetable paté
- Peanut butter
- Squeezy honey
- Blocks of chocolate - mix of dark, fruit and nut
- Mars bars
- Dried fruit and nut mix / dried fruit - anything available for reasonable price
- Malt loaves
- Cereal bars - not as many as last year!
- Big bags of crisps for sharing
Beer: Some traditional alps lager might be good. Supermarkets often sell boxes of 250/330ml bottles called something like 'Tesco French lager' which is actually imported and nice.
Some initial ideas, please add and amend:
- Curry (Indian and Thai) - rice, coconut milk, curry paste, chickpeas, veg
- Stir fry - noodles, veg, soy sauce or some other vegan sauce?
- Is vegan pesto available? Yes! (AB) If so, pesto pasta + veg-
- Tinned Stagg(?) veggie chilli is decent, + rice
- Tomato-based pasta slop with optional salami (buy as whole dried sausage) or tuna
- Fajitas - wraps + sauce + veg
- Risotto - risotto rice + stock cubes + veg
- BBQ (in the sun this year) - take out a disposable or two and buy meat etc there
- Bolognese - Soya mince + tinned tomatoes + veg + pasta
Lots of tinned veg could be an option to add to meals. So could meat!
Shopping list to buy
Sandwich or freezer bags
- Tents: DP, IP, Jon
- Stoves: DP, IP, Jon
- Gas/fuel: If all 3 of us take some there should be plenty - again, cheaper than buying over there.
- Ropes: Ian, Jon
- Rack: Ian - nuts, hexes, quickdraws. DP - I have two slings and three quickdraws. Jon - Possibly buying some. If you want to buy some, I'd strongly recommend as being cheap and light. I bought 2x12cm, 6x18cm, 2x25cm, and added 3x60cm slings - on non-sport routes I steal krabs from the short QDs and make slingdraws for long extenders and spikes.
- Ice screws: IP, EF, JM. AB and DP to buy.
- Hi-vis vests: One each compulsory. IP, EF will brign theirs.
- Swiss motorways have a 'Vignette' system. Do not drive onto a motorway without one - stick to the windscreen, usually top corner passenger side. Often you will be on motorway as soon as you cross the border, so either buy online http://here (never done it), from a German service station near the border, or pull over at the border and buy one in the kiosk.
- Ice axe
- Belay plate
- Teddy bear
- Knee tape (Jon only)
From Dix Hut:
La Luette (F+/PD-)
Pigne d'Arolla (F)
Mont Blanc du Cheilon (PD-/PD)
Hut details: 61 CHF members, 72 CHF non-members, phone 0041(0)272811523
From Vignettes Hut:
Hut details: 61 CHF members, 72 CHF non-members, phone 0041(0)272831322
From http://Bouquetins hut:
Mont Brule (PD-)
Hut details: 18 CHF members, 27 CHF non-members (no food available I think?), phone 0041(0)218454944
From Bertol Hut:
Tete Blanche (F)
Dents de Bertol (F)
Hut details: 59 CHF members, 69 CHF non-members, phone 0041(0)272831929
- Maps: Ian - 1:50000 (borrowed). DP will buy one/some to cover whatever we do. Jon - Ian, which do you know the numbers of the maps we want?
- 1:50000 = 283 Arolla. Also Kompass 115 - Val d'Anniviers, Montana, Val d'Herens (available on Amazon too).
- 1:25000 = probably split over 1327, 1346, 1347.
- Sometimes other publishers have walking maps available locally that cover a better area on 1:25000.
This shop were efficient last year
Guidebooks: Valais Alps West (Alpine club) (Ian - borrowed), Schweiz Plaisir Alpin (optional extra), Valais walking guide (Kev Reynolds) (will try to photocopy - Ian)