This is a wiki (editable web page) to organise cooking for this weekend’s trip to the Duddon Valley.
The kitchen has two 3-ring induction hobs, a big electric oven, microwave, water boiler for drinks, pots, pans, crockery, cutlery, a larder fridge, and a freezer.
Click edit at the top to change the text (you’ll need to be logged in to your account on the website first – click here to register if you don’t have one). You can either suggest a meal idea or join one of the existing ones and you’re obviously also welcome to sort yourself out (move your name to Independent). Please remove your name from the Not yet signed-up for meal list too once you’re in a group or have decided to cook alone. The person who suggests the meal is responsible for arranging the ingredients – everyone else in the group should bring money on the trip to pay for their share, and expect to help with the preparation and washing up.
Meal suggestions by Tuesday evening. Finalise groups by Wednesday evening so the person suggesting the meal knows how much they have to buy and has a couple of days to do the shopping.
Beer keg: It's been suggested to me that having some kind of drink on offer might be quite nice on Saturday night, especially if people are a bit damp! So we could get a 5L beer keg to drink between a few of us (suggestions of types of beer are welcome).
Cost: £2-3 each depending on which beer
People who want beer:
- Chris H
Starter: Cucumber Salad with vinegar and soy sauce
Main: Hand-made sliced noodles and Helao noodles (traditional food popular in the northwest of China, similar to pasta) and Roasted chicken wings (Half spicy and hot and half not). The noodles are all vegetarian friendly. Besides, if people are keen, we can also make dumplings. I have a small noodle machine which could be used to make the wrappers of the dumplings. (Please put a 'D' behind your name if you prefer dumplings ).
Dessert: Mandarin and chocolate Cheesecake
Cost per person:around 3.5 pounds
- Yuqing Wu
- Zekang Cheng (刀削面？/supermarket cakes or pies?)
- Yanting Jin
- Callan Howard
- Chong Chen
- Yong Yan
- Kaitlynn Saldanha
- Starter: Bread(depending on time it will be self baked) with a selection of humus and rocket
- Main: House made pasta with courgettes, chicken and cream, over-baked with cheese. I am able to provide a vegetarian friendly version of the meal which comes with additional vegetables instead of chicken. Please add a (V) behind your name if so.
Dessert: Fruit salad
Maximum number: 10
Cost per person: around 3 £ I guess.
- Natalie J.
- Matthew B. (sounds yummy!)
- Patrick W
- Paul C (prefer V but not strict)
- Starter: I'm sure I'll figure something out, but might just do a salad or make some garlic bread. Ideas welcome!
- Main: Chicken breasts marinated in lime and olive oil, with baked potatoes as the side-dish. I stole this recipe from the guys at Expedition Overland and it's pretty awesome.
Dessert: Cranberry-oatmeal cookies, freshly baked. This is a recipe from back home.
Maximum number: 8
Cost per person: about 4 pounds
Marton Gorka (Marci)
- David H (garlic bread sounds sweet!)
- Callum R
- Chris H
- Ben H
- Samuel Seah
- Tom Leach
Main: Stuffed Peppers and aloo subzi (Indian potatoes) (Veg and Non-veg options)
Dessert: Carrot Chai Cake
Cost per person: about 4 pounds - exact amount TBD
- Jacques Serizay
- Ramya Gurundthan
- Aditya Dhumuntarn
- Lachlan Lancaster
- Karl Winsor
- Camilla (Veg please)
- Elaheh ( Veg please)
- Emese Ratkai
- Fingal Loh
- Jade Cuttle
Not yet signed-up for meal
- Samuel Tan
- Suxue Zhang