Page for organising trip to Fort William in January before Seathwaite trip.
We're planning to stay in the Ben Nevis Inn Bunkhouse. It's £15.50 per night and has a communal kitchen, drying room and attached pub. Pretty much covers everything we need ...
Ben Nevis Inn is located at GR NN125730. Also see its location on Google Maps.
Without car access, these could include:
- Ben Nevis by the 'tourist route'
- Carn Mor Dearg (via the CIC hut)
- Meall an t-Suidhe (above the Halfway Lochan)
- Bidhein Bad na h-Iolaire, Druimarbin & Cow Hill (to the west of Glen Nevis)
- Mamores (the western ones are more easily accessible)
- The Aonachs (though quite a long walk)
- ... And it's only 3km to the train station in Fort William (timetable here), which opens up a plethora of options:
- From Spean Bridge: Cruach Innse & Sgurr Innse
- From Roybridge: hills to the southern end of Glen Roy
- From Tulloch: Beinn Teallach & Beinn a'Chaorainn
- From Loch Eil: Druim Fada
- From Glenfinnan: Sgurr an Utha; Sgurr nan Coireachan & Sgurr Thuilm; Streap
- From Lochailort: Moidart
This websites quite useful, and I like these walks, though they are perhaps a bit too long if its lots-of-snowy weather :) [BG]
I'm keen on the CMD Arête! [AW]
Who / when
|Night of stay||2nd||3rd||4th||5th|
Numbers are dorm rooms booked
For info. Getting to Fort Will on the 2nd is hard. Only 1 train running Glasgow to Fort Will 18:20-22:05. Two Citylink buses 10am-1pm and 3pm-6pm. MJ
Kirsty, Doug (?)
- Megabus London to Glasgow, 2345 on the 1st Jan, arriving just before 8am, and then the 10am bus from Glasgow to Fort William which gets in around 1pm
- Train from Newcastle, arrive Fort William 16:09 on 3rd Jan
Andrew Train from Darlington (11:02) to Glasgow (14:12) on 2nd Jan. Then CityLink from Glasgow (15:00) to Fort William (18:00). Or may get lift directly to Inn from family on return from possible New Year trip. Becky Train from Birmingham on 2nd Jan.
- Train from Durham on 2nd Jan, arr Fort William 2205.
Mark Coach from Cambridge-London, then same as Kirsty & Doug.
Jane & Simon
- Arriving by car on 2nd Jan (some time in the evening)
Return / onwards to Seathwaite
Doug (going on college ski trip afterwards)
- Megabus from Glasgow to London on 6th, leaving at 4.10am. Train, or possibly bus, from Fort William to Glasgow on the evening of the 5th.
& Mark (heading to Seathwaite)
- Train, depart Fort William 07:42 on 6th Jan, arrive Glasgow Queen Street 11:30 then 13:09 from Glasgow Central to Penrith (arriving 14:45)
- Planning to get X5 (bus) from Penrith to Keswick (dep 15:22, arr 16:00) and then 78 from Keswick to Seatoller (dep 16:25, arr 16:53).
Andrew (heading to Seathwaite, it goes without saying...) Haven't booked a train yet. But if I decide to come along, I shall get the same train as Matthew, Kirsty (& Mark) to Penrith and then onwards to Seathwaite.
- Travelling to Seathwaite with Jane.
Becky Train back on 6th to Birmingham.
- Train back to Durham on 6th. House open if people need a stop-over before going home/to Seathwaite.
- Driving to Seathwaite on the 6th (via home) with Bethan & Simon
What maps of the area do people have? I have a club BMC map which I can forward on to someone if it's likely there won't be enough on the first day (when I'm not there) though I assume it won't be a problem. [l|/users/matthew-graham|Matthew Graham] - 23:14 19 December 2011
Doug - I have a 1:25000 OS map. Incidentally I also have a group shelter, think 6-8, and I think someone else has one as well, can't remember who though. Joe has the other one [AW]
- 2 BMC Fort William and Glen Coe
Andrew - I have a club OS Landranger of Ben Nevis. I can send this to someone in case I don't end up coming along if it's needed.