Since people tend to be travelling to our Vacation Trips from numerous destinations across the country, the Club does not organise transport for these trips. This is a wiki page to help coordinate lift sharing for the trip, which begins on Monday 5th and concludes on Friday 9th January. Members are welcome to come for as many or as few nights as they wish.
Michael's car (full)
- Times: leaving Cambridge around 5pm on Monday 5th January. Staying all nights. Leaving around 4pm on Friday, unless weather is terrible in which case will come home Friday morning.
- Route: probable route is Cambridge-A14-A1-A66-Keswick, so can pick people up from near that routes. Can be persuaded to do A14-M6-A66 if that's helpful for lifts.
- Passengers: can take two passengers comfortably with a week of luggage - three would be a squeeze.
- Zekang (leaving from Cambridge. Thanks, Mike!)
- Adrien (leaving from Cambridge)
- Outbound: Andrew (from Scotch Corner); return: Paul F (to Cambridge)
Josh's car (full)
- Times: Leaving from SE on morning of 5th January, returning from Seathwaite ~17.00-18.00 on 8th January
- Route: M11-A1-A66
- 2 passengers
- Outbound: Paul F (from Cambridge); return: Andrew (to Cambridge)
- Jade (from and back to York)
Tom Newton's car (spaces)
- Times: leaving Oxford early morning on 5th January (time TBC). Staying all nights. Leaving mid morning on Friday as have to return to Somerset.
- Route: Travelling from Somerset to Oxford on the afternoon of the 4th, staying overnight in Oxford on the night of the 4th then leaving early morning on the 5th from Oxford. Xavier will be getting the X5 bus from Cambridge to Oxford and meeting me there, so others can do that, and I can return to Oxford on the way back.
- Passengers: can take three passengers provided not more than one bag per person.
- Tom Newton
- Return: David (Seathwaite to Penrith Station, need to catch 1300 train)
Marcus' car (spaces)
- Times: Leaving SW London area Mon morning. Returning Friday.
- Route: Surrey-M25-M40-M6-Keswick
- 2/3 passengers: Can pick up from anywhere en route. Suggested points are
- Hillingdon Tube nr London
- Coleshill Parkway nr M6 (on Cambridge-Birmingham train line)
- Penrith Train Station
- Fingal (from Surrey)
- Outbound: David (Penrith Station to Seathwaite, train arriving at 1630); there is a remaining return space to Penrith Station from Seathwaite
Anthony's car (not very useful!)
- Already staying in the Lakes the night before, so will get a walk in then arrive Monday afternoon/evening
- Returning to Shrewsbury probably Friday first thing (might change depending on how I feel) - go down M6 to Warrington, then cross country - space for 3 passengers, if this is in anyway useful!
It is relatively easy to reach Seathwaite by public transport — the nearest train station is Penrith which is on the West Coast mainline. From Penrith you can take the Stagecoach X5 bus service to Keswick and from there the Borrowdale Rambler (service 78) to Seatoller which is only a short walk from Seathwaite.
Feel free to list your travel plans here to determine if other people are travelling for the same portions of journeys as you.
Bus timetables can be found here:
People Using Public Transport
- David H – I'll travel from Preston, Lancashire via Penrith rail station, probably arriving fairly early on Monday with a view to getting a walk in. Returning via Langdale on Thursday.